Painted Sugar Cookies

February 5, 2011

If there is something that you should know about me, it's that I love sugar.  Every holiday should involve lots and lots of sugar and Valentine's Day is no exception. 


We decorated some the conventional way (think butter cream icing, cinnamon hearts, sprinkles and chocolates).

The real hit this year was cookie painting!

My three year old had so much fun.  I love the vibrant colours, and the fact that this was something she could do by herself (icing a cookie is too hard for a three-year old, but this paint spread so nicely, which made things a lot easier).

I mixed food colouring with white corn syrup.  I used one tbsp corn syrup to five or so drops of food colouring.  We used baby spoons as paintbrushes.
 

I've had great success with my Sugar Cookie recipe.  Here it is, for anyone who is interested.

Plain and Simple Sugar Cookies
(from The Clueless Baker)

1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 cup evaporated milk

1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until smooth.  Add eggs and vanilla, beat until creamy.  Stir in the flour and baking powder alternately with the evaporated milk to make a stiff dough.  Knead a few times by hand to make it workable.  Refridgerate at least 10 minutes before using.

2. Preheat oven to 350 F.  Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

3. Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness.  Cut shapes.  Bake 8-10 minutes.

4. Let cool and decorate.


Happy cookie baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...